The XVIth Century Casa-Palacio
The historian Fernando de la Villa is currently (March 2017) investigating the documents that will trace definitively the lineage in the early XVIth century.
1510. The first documentary evidence of the Casa Palacio de Carmona is a mention in the Chaplaincy of Martín López de la Cueva in 1514, which was established in 1510.
1514. It seems that Gutierrez Mendez de Sotomayor purchased a set of palaces and houses from this Estate of Martín López de la Cueva, in the period from 1510 to 1514 and built the palace as we now know it. Palace was the name formally afforded any house which was larger than 500 square meters.
1560. Lazaro de Briones Mallén, had been a captain in the Spanish Imperial Army, who in 1560 was awarded the recognition of an extended coat of arms for his service and accomplishments in favour of the Spanish Crown in the conquest of the provinces of Peru, which was published on 10.5.1560.
The shield atop the door to the palace presents the arms of the Briones family as detailed in this grant signed by King Felipe II of Spain, and on the two left lower quarters, the Quintanilla family emblem – a beaded cross.
1580. It is already established that in around 1580 the house belonged to Juan de Briones Quintanilla, the second son of Lazaro de Briones.
1780. The property of the house passed to the widow of Juan de Briones Quintanilla, Leonor de Atienza, and from her through several generations until in the late 1780s it fell upon D. García de Porres, Conde de las Atalayas and Marqués de Castilleja. At this time the house had the obligations of paying three taxes which summed more than the income of its rents – such that D. Garcia de Porres petitioned the Crown of Spain, acting as the feudal lords of Carmona since its conquest in 1248, to sell it so as to abolish the three taxes that befell upon him, a petition he was conceded – and thence he was allowed to sell the house at auction.
The auction was celebrated in 1786 the house and the house was is purchased at by Bartolome Quintanilla y Arce, as seen in the frontispiece of the document below:
The Casa Palacio de Carmona has been known by other names in the past.
1514 – 1530? Casa Palacio y Plazuela de Don Gutierre ( Mendez de Sotomayor)
These changes in name correspond to when the heir of the house is a lady and the name of the owner, on the following generation, changes to that of the husband.
We believe the Casa Palacio de Carmona to be the oldest standing and best of its kind in Carmona (as told to the author by Meye Maier, partner of previous owner Pedro Romero de Solis and caretaker of the house for several years in the 1970s and 1980s). Although there are more than a dozen large beautiful houses in Carmona, there are not more than a handful of this quality. The quality of the house, like the description of a lady, is impossible to represent briefly and comprehensively, but nevertheless, it is inequivocally apparent.